NEW YORK (AP) — Harriet Tubman hasn’t just been chosen to appear on the new $20 bill. She’ll also be playing a major role in the WGN America drama series “Underground” for its second season.
She will be portrayed by Aisha Hinds, WGN American announced Wednesday. Hinds has appeared in “Under the Dome,” ”True Blood,” and “Detroit 1-8-7.”
Tubman, herself born a slave, was revered for her grit and perseverance in helping scores of others escape their bondage for freedom during the Civil War.
The series, whose cast also includes Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Aldis Hodge, Alano Miller and Christopher Meloni, depicts the challenges and dangers of the Underground Railroad. It will return for its new 10-episode season early next year.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- 10 movies to look forward to in fall 2021
- Seattle's Ken Jennings and Mayim Bialik to host 'Jeopardy!' … for now. Is that the right call?
- Now streaming: 'Y: The Last Man,' 'The Lost Symbol,' 'The Boss Baby' sequel and more
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- Exciting new art exhibitions are coming to the Seattle area in fall 2021. Here's what to see