LOS ANGELES (AP) — Adele’s new album “25” has sold 3.38 million copies in its first week, smashing single week sales records, according to Nielsen Music.
As reported by Billboard, “25” is the first album to sell more than 3 million copies in one week in Nielsen’s history, which has been tracking first week purchases since 1991. The previous record was held by ‘NSYNC whose 2000 album “No Strings Attached” sold 2.4 million copies in its first week.
“25” has also become the best-selling album of the year, flying past the 1.8 million copies sold of Taylor Swift’s “1989.” Adele did not allow streaming services like Spotify to make “25” available.
Her previous album, “21” has sold 11.24 million copies in the United States.
Most Read Entertainment Stories
- Fall Arts 2021 | Your guide to the Seattle area’s most interesting shows, concerts, exhibits and more
- Judge cancels Rod Stewart's trial, sets plea deal hearing
- Meet the Seattle-area flight attendant competing on this season of 'Survivor'
- Seattle rapper Raz Simone threw a pop-up, drive-in concert at a Seattle Center parking lot. Here's how it went.
- NY millionaire Robert Durst guilty of best friend’s murder