A personal-finance magazine ranks the University of Washington ninth in the U.S. among all public universities in terms of value.
Perhaps helped by a small decrease in tuition prices, the University of Washington ranked ninth in the country — better than it did last year — on the 2016 list of best college values, as reported by Kiplinger Personal Finance this week. Western Washington University ranked 89th.
Both schools moved up two places on the list. Last year, the UW was 11th, and WWU was 91st. Both schools are the only two in the state to make Kiplinger’s top 100 list of best public-college values.
Kiplinger takes into account a school’s admit rate, its four-year graduation rate, the number of students per faculty member, the cost of a year of tuition, the average amount offered in financial aid and the average debt at graduation.
The magazine’s editors note that at many colleges and universities, costs have slowed, and in some states, tuition has dropped. That’s the case in Washington after state lawmakers approved a bill that cut tuition by 5 percent at public colleges and universities.
Most Read Stories
- Daylight saving time: Washington state moving toward an end to the clock change
- 'Shark Tank' star Robert Herjavec owes a debt of gratitude to a homeless shelter in Seattle VIEW
- Fired Amazon employee with Crohn's disease files lawsuit over lack of bathroom access
- Analysis: Does Russell Wilson really want to leave the Seahawks for the New York Giants?
- Seahawks mailbag: Earl Thomas comp picks and what to do about special teams
Next year, the savings are even bigger: Tuition will drop another 10 percent at the UW and Washington State University, and 15 percent at WWU, Central Washington University, Eastern Washington University and The Evergreen State College.
Three state private universities also made Kiplinger’s list of 100 best values in private schools: Gonzaga, 42nd; Whitworth, 64th; and Seattle Pacific, 85th. Among liberal-arts colleges, one Washington university cracked the top 100 list: University of Puget Sound, 97th.