Nathan Hale juniors boycott Smarter Balanced tests: All 280 juniors at Nathan Hale High School in Seattle refused to show up for new state tests in reading and math this week. The exams, which are tied to the new Common Core standards, are not a graduation requirement for this year’s 11th graders.
Lake Washington teachers join school funding strikes: A majority of teachers in the Lake Washington School District have approved a union plan to walk out of their classrooms on May 6 to protest what they view as a lack in state funding for public schools. Teachers in 11 other western Washington districts have also voted to stage full or half-day strikes.
Oregon renews commitment to career and technical education (The Oregonian): Using renewed state funding, districts across Oregon are introducing new programs to help high-school students pursue technical careers after graduation.
Most Read Stories
- Rebound with redemption: Huskies come back to beat Utah behind the unlikeliest of heroes
- Kickoff time, TV info announced for 110th Apple Cup
- Parents, adult son believed dead in Sammamish murder-suicide
- Huskies won't repeat as Pac-12 champs, but their consolation prize? The game of the year
- Anthony Bourdain brought 'Parts Unknown' to Seattle — here's where he ate