The Mayor's Education Summit will be held April 30.
Seattle Mayor Ed Murray will host an Education Summit later this month, but first, his office is asking for input from the community.
Several community conversations are scheduled in the next three weeks leading up to the summit, to be held the Garfield Community Center on April 30. The summit will focus on reducing education disparities and closing the achievement gap.
The meetings begin with a message from Murray and a presentation about opportunity gaps in Seattle schools. Attendees are then divided into groups to discuss issues and possible solutions. The host or hosts of each conversation chooses the topics discussed at each meeting, which last about two hours.
In addition to the seven community conversations, the mayor’s office is also holding three conversations at Rainier Beach, Garfield and Nathan Hale high schools. Those conversations will be facilitated by students.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle-area protests: March during sixth day of action after George Floyd's killing draws massive crowd around City Hall
- Coronavirus daily news updates, June 3: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Coronavirus daily news updates, June 4: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Sounders part ways with broadcaster and former coach Alan Hinton over tweet
- Don't buy the 'outside agitator' trope: Arrest records suggest Seattle's riot was more likely homegrown
An online survey is available for those who are unable to attend a meeting or would like to suggest more ideas after a meeting.
Upcoming community conversations:
Wednesday, 5 p.m. at Lake City Community Center, hosted by North Seattle Family Resource Center/Children’s Home Society of Washington and Lake City Future First
Wednesday, 6 p.m. at Seattle Wood Technology Center, hosted by Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle
Friday, 4:30 p.m. at Chinese Information and Service Center, hosted by Chinese Information and Service Center
Saturday, 3 p.m. at Rainier Community Center, hosted by TeamChild
April 14, 5 p.m. at Neighborhood House High Point Center, hosted by Neighborhood House
April 26, 5:30 p.m. at Van Asselt Community Center, hosted by the Seattle Education Association (south)
April 26, 5:30 p.m. at Northgate Community Center, hosted by the Seattle Education Association (north)
High school conversations:
Thursday, 3:15 p.m., Rainier Beach High School
April 19, 3 p.m., Garfield High School
April 20, 6 p.m., Nathan Hale High School