WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — The White House says President Donald Trump has received an “in-depth” briefing on trade with China and its economy.
Trump met Saturday in Florida with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. Spokeswoman Lindsay Walters says also discussed ongoing talks with Canada and Mexico to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement. The three countries are parties to the agreement. Trump says he wants better terms for the U.S. or he’ll pull out of NAFTA.
Trump is also seeking China’s help pressuring North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons program.
The president has complained about longstanding trade deficits with the Asian economic powerhouse. Walters says he was also updated on pending enforcement actions against China.
Most Read Business Stories
- Alaska Air to add some passenger fees and basic fare, says merger with Virgin on track
- Seattle 2.0 doesn't exist, but ‘flyover country’ offers hidden city gems | Jon Talton
- Early 787 test plane is dismantled for reuse, recycling, or scrap
- How merchants quietly use Facebook to flood Amazon with fake reviews
- The unspoken factor in Amazon’s search for a new home: Jeff Bezos’ support for gay rights
Trump is spending the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend at his estate in Palm Beach.