WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — The White House says President Donald Trump has received an “in-depth” briefing on trade with China and its economy.
Trump met Saturday in Florida with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. Spokeswoman Lindsay Walters says also discussed ongoing talks with Canada and Mexico to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement. The three countries are parties to the agreement. Trump says he wants better terms for the U.S. or he’ll pull out of NAFTA.
Trump is also seeking China’s help pressuring North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons program.
The president has complained about longstanding trade deficits with the Asian economic powerhouse. Walters says he was also updated on pending enforcement actions against China.
Most Read Business Stories
- Foreign tech workers face higher hurdles in H-1B visa applications
- As the Farnborough Air Show ends, Boeing emerges clearly ahead
- Some Pacific Northwest CEOs earn 200 or 400 times what the average employee is paid
- Boeing can't wrest away big Airbus customer's A330neo order
- Amazon announces plans for Spokane warehouse, first Eastern Washington outpost
Trump is spending the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend at his estate in Palm Beach.