WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — The White House says President Donald Trump has received an “in-depth” briefing on trade with China and its economy.
Trump met Saturday in Florida with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. Spokeswoman Lindsay Walters says also discussed ongoing talks with Canada and Mexico to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement. The three countries are parties to the agreement. Trump says he wants better terms for the U.S. or he’ll pull out of NAFTA.
Trump is also seeking China’s help pressuring North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons program.
The president has complained about longstanding trade deficits with the Asian economic powerhouse. Walters says he was also updated on pending enforcement actions against China.
Most Read Business Stories
- Paul Allen's death leaves many questions around what's likely the largest estate in Washington history
- Remembering Paul Allen: In the beginning, there was Traf-O-Data and Hendrix
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella makes 154 times median employee pay
- No single force brought down Sears, but the lessons are haunting | Jon Talton
- Boeing tanker to miss delivery date, Air Force secretary says
Trump is spending the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend at his estate in Palm Beach.