NEW YORK (AP) — Wal-Mart says it named John Furner as CEO of its Sam’s Club stores to replace Rosalind Brewer, who is retiring next month.
Furner, who is 42, will head the membership-only warehouse chain next month. Furner has been Sam’s Club’s chief merchandising officer since October 2015. Wal-Mart says he first joined the company as an hourly store associate in 1993.
Brewer will leave her position February 1. The 54-year-old has been CEO of Sam’s Club for five years and has had a variety of executive roles since joining the company about 11 years ago.
Shares of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Arkansas, slipped 86 cents, or 1.2 percent, to $68.37 in morning trading Friday.
Most Read Business Stories
- Seattle-area small businesses applying for federal coronavirus loans see potential and problems
- Jobless benefits for some will exceed their wages, thanks to boost from coronavirus relief package
- Boeing urged by Washington's congressional delegation to take bailout money, pay workers
- GM and Bothell’s Ventec get $489.4 million order from U.S. for 30,000 ventilators in coronavirus fight
- Senators want details from Amazon on firing of New York coronavirus protest organizer