NEW YORK (AP) — Wal-Mart says it named John Furner as CEO of its Sam’s Club stores to replace Rosalind Brewer, who is retiring next month.
Furner, who is 42, will head the membership-only warehouse chain next month. Furner has been Sam’s Club’s chief merchandising officer since October 2015. Wal-Mart says he first joined the company as an hourly store associate in 1993.
Brewer will leave her position February 1. The 54-year-old has been CEO of Sam’s Club for five years and has had a variety of executive roles since joining the company about 11 years ago.
Shares of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Arkansas, slipped 86 cents, or 1.2 percent, to $68.37 in morning trading Friday.
Most Read Business Stories
- The tax-filing deadline was delayed, but read the fine print. You may still need to pay by April 15.
- Lawsuit over January crash of Boeing 737 alleges autothrottle malfunction
- A new focus at Seattle's chamber faces an old roadblock at the City Council
- New Amazon data shows Black, Latino and female employees are underrepresented in best-paid jobs
- 'Like science fiction,' Seattle startup sends laser-equipped robots to zap weeds on farmland