NEW YORK (AP) — Wal-Mart says it named John Furner as CEO of its Sam’s Club stores to replace Rosalind Brewer, who is retiring next month.
Furner, who is 42, will head the membership-only warehouse chain next month. Furner has been Sam’s Club’s chief merchandising officer since October 2015. Wal-Mart says he first joined the company as an hourly store associate in 1993.
Brewer will leave her position February 1. The 54-year-old has been CEO of Sam’s Club for five years and has had a variety of executive roles since joining the company about 11 years ago.
Shares of Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Arkansas, slipped 86 cents, or 1.2 percent, to $68.37 in morning trading Friday.
Most Read Business Stories
- Boeing delivers first 737 jet from completion center in China
- Workers start paying for Washington’s new paid-leave law next month. Here’s how it works.
- Five steps to reduce your vulnerability to a hacker | Q&A with Patrick Marshall
- As America retreats, China moves to create a new world order | Jon Talton
- Apple to expand Seattle office to more than 1,000 workers