NEW YORK (AP) — Paris-based fashion house Louis Vuitton has named Kanye West collaborator Virgil Abloh as its new menswear designer.
The 37-year-old is founder of the Off-White label and will become, alongside Balmain’s Olivier Rousteing, one of only two people of color in charge of a major fashion house. He replaces Kim Jones, who left in January to become men’s wear designer for Christian Dior.
In a statement, Abloh said “I find the heritage and creative integrity of the House are key inspirations and will look to reference them both while drawing parallels to modern times.”
Louis Vuitton CEO Michael Burke Monday praised Abloh’s “innate creativity and disruptive approach (that) have made him so relevant, not just in the world of fashion but in popular culture today.”
Most Read Business Stories
- 5 takeaways from Seattle’s red-hot 2021 housing market, and the year's priciest sales
- 'Our city's not dead yet': PCC opening highlights promise of, and challenges to, downtown Seattle's recovery
- London-bound jet returns to Miami over maskless passenger
- Fred Meyer, QFC workers struggle in Washington to make ends meet, new report shows
- Restaurant workers go 'missing' again from Washington's job recovery
The company says Abloh’s first show will take place during men’s fashion week in Paris in June.