BROOMFIELD, Colo. (AP) — Vail Resorts says it will invest $52 million in improvements at Canada’s Whistler Blackcomb resort.
The Vail Daily reports the company will build a 10-passenger gondola and new lifts at the ski resort, North America’s biggest and busiest.
Vail Resorts’ Thursday announcement came as it reported a $28.4 million net loss for its first quarter. That compares to a $62.2 million loss for the same quarter last year.
Vail commonly posts a loss for the quarter because its resorts aren’t operating for most of the period. Its fiscal year runs Aug. 1 to July 31.
Most Read Business Stories
- Amazon will now leave package deliveries in your parked car (if it's a newish GM or Volvo)
- Seattle-area home-price growth from current boom has surpassed last decade’s bubble
- Alaska Air to add some passenger fees and basic fare, says merger with Virgin on track
- Boeing is bullish on commercial jet outlook, plans increase in 767 production
- Seattle 2.0 doesn't exist, but ‘flyover country’ offers hidden city gems | Jon Talton
Vail has 13 ski areas, all of them destination resorts courting overnight guests.
Information from: Vail Daily, http://www.vaildaily.com/