BROOMFIELD, Colo. (AP) — Vail Resorts says it will invest $52 million in improvements at Canada’s Whistler Blackcomb resort.
The Vail Daily reports the company will build a 10-passenger gondola and new lifts at the ski resort, North America’s biggest and busiest.
Vail Resorts’ Thursday announcement came as it reported a $28.4 million net loss for its first quarter. That compares to a $62.2 million loss for the same quarter last year.
Vail commonly posts a loss for the quarter because its resorts aren’t operating for most of the period. Its fiscal year runs Aug. 1 to July 31.
Most Read Business Stories
- How one young couple is paying down massive college debt | Money Makeover
- Bombardier sues Mitsubishi in Seattle over aircraft trade secrets
- Pioneer of Central Washington cryptocurrency boom falls on hard times
- Monday Memo: Earnings reports from Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, Alaska Air
- Paul Allen's death leaves many questions around what's likely the largest estate in Washington history
Vail has 13 ski areas, all of them destination resorts courting overnight guests.
Information from: Vail Daily, http://www.vaildaily.com/