British authorities say a journalist won't be charged in connection with the phone hacking scandal.
British authorities say a journalist won’t be charged in connection with the phone hacking scandal.
Neil Wallis, former deputy editor of now-defunct tabloid News of the World, was arrested in 2011, becoming one of the first prominent journalists arrested in the case.
He said Friday on Twitter that prosecutors told his lawyers he wouldn’t be charged. He said his family had endured “21 months of hell” since his arrest.
Prosecutors said Friday there was insufficient evidence for the prosecution of a journalist who had been arrested. They didn’t identify Wallis by name, as is customary.
Most Read Business Stories
- FAA safety engineer goes public to slam the agency's oversight of Boeing's 737 MAX
- 55,000 in Washington state may have to pay back thousands in jobless benefits
- MacKenzie Scott marries Seattle teacher after Bezos divorce
- 1 house, 45 offers: Homebuyers in Western Washington hard-pressed as supply remains scarce
- Boeing CEO gave up millions in pay; here's what he and other top execs earned
Wallis and other journalists along with police and public officials have been arrested in the scandal, which started when tabloid reporters were found to have hacked into voicemails left for aides to the royal family.