SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Directors of Illinois’ toll highways have approved five more construction contracts totaling $20 million.
The Illinois Tollway board of directors’ action Thursday brings the year’s total to nearly $1 billion in construction and engineering contracts. The work has been awarded to 78 different contractors.
It’s part of the 15-year, $14 billion Move Illinois capital program.
Tollway Executive Director Greg Bedalov says the investment improves travel but added that it means “we are a driving force for increasing economic development opportunities in the diverse communities we serve.”
Most Read Business Stories
- Big Tech's newest thing? This Seattle author predicted it 30 years ago
- Microsoft’s $22 billion combat goggles get crucial field test with U.S. Army
- After stock market's worst start in 50 years, some see more pain ahead
- Supreme Court says several gun cases deserve a new look
- Boeing will cover travel expenses for medical procedures
During the capital program’s first six years, the Illinois Tollway has obligated more than $5 billion. Officials say $1.5 billion of that has been committed to small, diverse and veteran-owned firms. They say the work has created and retained more than 56,000 jobs.