The growing trend of co-working, or shared office space, is seen in Seattle, where 41 centers are established. Washington has 83 co-working centers, according to a study by The Instant Group.
Seattle is one of the top five cities in the U.S. for the growing trend of co-working, or shared office space where workers can rent desks and conference rooms and make use of Internet access and a collaborative environment.
Washington has 83 co-working centers, according to a real-estate study, and that number is growing every year.
Forty-one co-working centers are established in Seattle, the study from commercial real-estate-research firm The Instant Group reports. Seattle is joined by New York, San Francisco, Austin and Los Angeles on a list of the cities with the most co-working spaces.
Washington is outpaced by California, which has 616 co-working spaces, driven by the flourishing tech economy in Silicon Valley.
Most Read Business Stories
- As Inslee relaxes coronavirus order to ease home sales, brokers mix skepticism and celebration
- Inside the ‘incredibly challenging’ effort by GM and Ventec to make more ventilators for coronavirus fight
- How to talk to your landlord about rent in the time of coronavirus
- Puget Sound housing market was among nation's strongest at the start of 2020. Then coronavirus came.
- Gray hair, don't care: Cuts and color lead to home travails VIEW
A report from the Government Accountability Office shows more than 40 percent of the U.S. workforce is made up of freelancers. That number is likely higher in tech centers, where startups and contractors often rent desks in co-working spaces.
WeWork, which has three locations in Seattle, is one of the best-known spaces for tech co-working. It has been joined in Seattle in recent years by companies that similarly appeal to tech tenants, as well as spaces made for artists, lawyers and others.
A desk at a co-working space in Washington costs an average of $794 per month, the Instant study says, though rates listed on popular co-working websites suggest that number is closer to $300 to $400 per month, depending on services included.