Intelius, a Bellevue online background-check company, and its parent company have been acquired by a Miami-based private equity firm.
Bellevue-based Intelius, which sells online background checks, has been acquired by a Miami-based private equity firm.
H.I.G. Capital bought the company, Intelius co-founder and Chief Technology Officer Niraj Shah confirmed Thursday. He declined to disclose terms of the deal.
The news was first reported by tech news site Geekwire, which said CEO Naveen Jain plans to depart the company to launch a startup in the health-care industry.
Intelius filed for an initial public offering in 2008 but never made it to the public market. The company aimed to raise $143.8 million in its IPO. It withdrew the petition in 2010.
Most Read Business Stories
- Fired Amazon employee with Crohn's disease files lawsuit over lack of bathroom access
- New questions emerge around REI CEO's undisclosed relationship
- Is your phone always low on battery and chewing through data? 'DrainerBot' could be to blame, Oracle says.
- Rich Barton returning as Zillow CEO as Spencer Rascoff steps down
- Tesla Model 3 loses coveted Consumer Reports recommendation
Jain is known for founding InfoSpace, now Bellevue company Blucora. A Seattle Times investigation in 2005 found that Jain and other InfoSpace executives boosted the company’s stock through accounting tricks and controversial deals.
Jain also serves as chairman of Moon Express, a space-exploration company he founded.
Geekwire reports that 20 people employed by Intelius’ holding company, Inome Inc., will be laid off.