MORGAN CITY, La. (AP) — A Louisiana company has an $18 million contract to design and build a naval landing craft, and the Pentagon says likely options would add another $411 million.
Swiftships LLC of Morgan City is to finish the first Landing Craft, Utility 1700 by July 2020.
The Navy could take 31 craft through 2027.
The Pentagon’s announcement says options include product support; manuals; up to 10,000 hours of special studies; a technical data package; and orders for interim support, engineering and industrial services, training, and shipping. It says the most likely would make the total $429.4 million, without orders.
Most Read Business Stories
- Health insurer ordered to stop selling in WA
- Pension deadline could speed retirement of experienced Boeing engineers
- This CEO posted a crying selfie on LinkedIn. It didn't go over well
- West Seattle, where the city was founded, remains an inviting place
- Boeing delivers its first 787 Dreamliner in more than a year
A list of contracts signed Friday said Swiftships was among five bidders. Most of the work will be in Morgan City, with 15 percent in Houston and 2 percent in Virginia Beach, Virginia.