The Unicorn Frappuccino starts as “a purple beverage with swirls of blue and a first taste that is sweet and fruity,” the company said.
Ending days of social-media speculation over whether Starbucks would be offering a “Unicorn Frappuccino,” the coffee company on Tuesday confirmed that it would indeed be offering the brightly hued, coffee-free sweet drink.
The pinkish-purple-and-blue Unicorn Frappuccino is made with sweet pink powder blended into a crème Frappuccino with mango syrup, layered with a sour blue drizzle, then topped with vanilla whipped cream and a dusting of sweet pink and sour blue sprinkles.
The Unicorn Frappuccino starts as “a purple beverage with swirls of blue and a first taste that is sweet and fruity,” the company said in its news release. “But give it a stir and its color changes to pink, and the flavor evolves to tangy and tart. The more swirl, the more the beverage’s color and flavors transform.”
It will be available for a limited time, from Wednesday through Sunday, while supplies last.
Most Read Business Stories
- This Seattle-area CEO made more than the heads of Microsoft and Starbucks — and he’s not in the tech sector
- Lauren Sanchez files for divorce after Bezos split finalized
- Boeing chief claims steady progress on "final" 737 MAX fix, as Canada insists pilots get simulator training
- Battered SpaceX Falcon Heavy booster knocked over at sea returns to Port Canaveral
- Flawed analysis, failed oversight: How Boeing, FAA certified the suspect 737 MAX flight control system | Times Watchdog
A grande (16-ounce) Unicorn Frappuccino costs $4.95 to $5.25, depending on the market.
A grande standard-recipe version, made with whole milk and topped with whipped cream, has 410 calories, 140 of them from fat, and 59 grams of sugar. A company spokeswoman said nutritional information on the drink will be posted at Starbucks.com starting Wednesday.
After photos of bags of pink powder popped up online earlier this month, supposedly posted by some Starbucks employees, rumors swirled that Starbucks would be offering a Unicorn Frappuccino, according to Snopes.