MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — An international anti-piracy force says a Singapore-flagged chemical tanker has exchanged fire with attackers off the coast of Somalia before escaping unharmed.
The European Union anti-piracy force says in a statement that the MT Leopard Sun was attacked by two skiffs early Friday about 160 nautical miles off central Somalia. A private security team on the tanker fired warning shots and the skiffs turned away about 20 minutes later.
The Horn of Africa nation saw a brief resurgence of pirate attacks a year ago.
The EU statement says Friday’s attack is “likely to be piracy related” and is the first such attack since November.
Most Read Business Stories
- All flights in and out of Paine Field canceled Monday as 5G bars regional jets
- Washington attorney general sues Google over location tracking
- Amazon Go is moving toward the suburbs, starting in Mill Creek
- Seattle home-price growth heats up a bit as much of U.S. cools
- Can anyone satisfy Amazon’s craving for electric vans?
The statement says the chemical tanker had been en route from Oman to Cape Town, South Africa.