SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Mike Leary has announced that he plans to retire May 18 as editor of the San Antonio Express-News.
According to the newspaper , the 69-year-old journalist says he’s retiring to travel and spend more time with his five grandchildren.
Leary came to the Express-News in August 2012 after a 30-year tenure at The Philadelphia Inquirer, where he directed and edited a series on school violence that won the 2012 Pulitzer Prize gold medal for public service.
Express-News Publisher Susan Lynch Paper says a national and internal search will begin for a new editor-in-chief. In the meantime, Managing Editor Jamie Stockwell will continue to run day-to-day newsroom operations.
Most Read Business Stories
- Filson to outsource most of remaining Seattle production to California
- Seattle-based Redfin leaves powerful, scandal-rocked Realtor group
- Redmond's Mac & Jack's Brewing is sold to Seattle company
- Struggling with defects, Boeing supplier Spirit AeroSystems fires CEO
- Seattle Hard Rock Cafe to close, costing 66 workers their jobs
Information from: San Antonio Express-News, http://www.mysanantonio.com