OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — REI plans to open its first store in Oklahoma next fall.
The outdoor retailer announced Tuesday that the 23,000 square-foot store in Oklahoma City will offer quality gear and expertise for the region’s recreational activities, including hiking and paddling. REI says the new store will employ nearly 50 people.
A member-owned co-op, REI offers workshops and classes to help people connect to life outdoors. REI also plans to invest in Oklahoma’s outdoor community and work with local nonprofits to help maintain local trails, parks and other amenities.
Officially known as REI Co-op and based in the Seattle area, the chain operates 154 stores in 35 states and the District of Columbia, including stores in Texas and Kansas. REI says it has 17 million members, including 46,500 in Oklahoma.
Most Read Business Stories
- Flawed analysis, failed oversight: How Boeing, FAA certified the suspect 737 MAX flight control system | Times Watchdog
- With regulators wary, Boeing faces more hurdles to restore 737 MAX fleet
- Delegating aircraft safety assessments to Boeing is nothing new for the FAA
- Chief of Starbucks' high-end initiative takes a 'coffee break' leave
- Bill Gates joins Jeff Bezos as the only two members of the $100 billion club