An Olympia couple is being sued by the state of Washington, which says the pair scammed 30,000 timeshare owners.
The civil lawsuit announced by Attorney General Bob Ferguson on Thursday is part of a national crackdown coordinated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
The attorney general’s office says Jonathan and Christine Gibbs fooled elderly consumers into paying them thousands of dollars to transfer ownership of their vacation timeshares to shell corporations.
Ferguson describes the scam as a large, complicated scheme that harmed about 30,000 consumers nationwide, including 1,500 people in Washington state. He says the couple collected more than $70 million while operating as 25 different companies.
Most Read Business Stories
- The penthouse atop Smith Tower is on the rental market for the first time
- Downtowns will be back, but Seattle has choices to make
- Boutique cruise line Windstar will move its Seattle headquarters to Miami
- Zillow’s price estimates are now cash offers in homebuying push
- US advisers endorse single-shot COVID-19 vaccine from J&J
It took Washington investigators 18 months to investigate and shut down the operation.
More than 190 criminal and civil actions have been brought across the country over the past two years to combat the rising problem of timeshare-resale fraud involving shady telemarketing operations, federal and state officials said Thursday.
Complaints about timeshare fraud targeting sellers tripled from 2010 to 2011, when more than 6,000 people called a hotline about the problem, the FTC said. Last year, there were fewer, about 4,600 complaints, as the FTC and various law enforcement agencies ramped up efforts to stop the fraud, said Charles Harwood, acting director of the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection.
“Our message to timeshare owners is simple: Never pay for a promise, get everything in writing first, and pay only after your unit is sold,” Harwood said. “Our message to timeshare scammers is simple, too: Law-enforcement agencies at every level of government are working together to put an end to this problem.”
Investigators have pursued fraud cases involving timeshare sellers in nearly every state in the country, but as a major vacation destination, Florida tops the list.
Miami U.S. Attorney Wifredo Ferrer said his office alone has filed 18 separate criminal cases against 69 defendants, including 41 involved with a now-defunct Broward County telemarketer, Timeshare Mega Media and Marketing Group. More than 2,000 people were scammed out of $5 million in that case. Most of the defendants in that case, including the two owners, have pleaded guilty.
“They use very aggressive, high-pressure tactics to defraud people out of their money,” Ferrer said.
Typically the fraud starts with a cold phone call to a timeshare owner looking to sell. The caller usually says a buyer has been found — often offering more money than the owner expects — and all the owner has to do is send some upfront cash to get the deal rolling. In the Broward County case, those fees ranged from just under $2,000 to $10,000, according to court documents.
The timeshare owner never sees the money again.
“They claim sales are about to happen, but there are no buyers, and consumers lose hundreds or thousands of dollars,” said Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi.
All told, the two-year timeshare fraud investigation has resulted in criminal charges against 184 people across the country. In addition, 83 civil actions have been brought by officials in 28 states and 25 actions by agencies in 10 other countries.