The business week ahead
TUESDAY: The World Economic Forum’s annual meeting kicks off in Davos, Switzerland. The world’s premier economic summit runs through Friday.
WEDNESDAY: F5 Networks will announce its fiscal first-quarter earnings after the market closes. … The National Association of Realtors releases existing home sales for December.
THURSDAY: Starbucks releases its fiscal first-quarter earnings after the market closes. Last quarter, the company’s comparable-store sales grew a disappointing 2 percent. Store closings forced by the hurricanes in Texas and Florida were one factor, but growth also slowed in the all-important China market. … Alaska Air Group reports its fourth-quarter and full year earnings. Analysts will focus on how the integration of Virgin America with Alaska Airlines is proceeding, as well as the pressure on airfares from competitors — particularly Delta, JetBlue and Southwest. … The Commerce Department reports data on new home sales for December. … Mortgage company Freddie Mac releases weekly mortgage rates.
FRIDAY: The Commerce Department reports on fourth-quarter gross domestic product and durable goods for December.
Most Read Business Stories
- Facing populist assault, global elites regroup in Davos
- 5 investment tips from Vanguard founder John Bogle
- King County property tax bills are coming, and the housing market slowdown won't lower your bill
- Alaska Airlines flight diversion leads to a 30-hour nightmare for passengers WATCH
- Boeing overhauls quality controls: more high-tech tracking but fewer inspectors