Polarizing right-wing writer Milo Yiannopoulos has offended women, Muslims, blacks and gay people ever since former Breitbart executive chairman Steve Bannon —now Trump’s senior adviser — hired him in 2014. His recent comments on sexual relationships between men and boys apparently went too far for even Breitbart.
NEW YORK (AP) — Polarizing right-wing writer Milo Yiannopoulos was by turns apologetic for comments he made about sexual relationships between boys and men and adamant he had been the subject of “a cynical media witch hunt” on Tuesday as he spoke after resigning as an editor at Breitbart News.
Yiannopoulos opened his remarks to reporters by saying two men, including a priest, had touched him inappropriately when he was between the ages of 13 and 16.
“My experiences as a victim led me to believe I could say anything I wanted to on this subject, no matter how outrageous,” he said. “But I understand that my usual blend of British sarcasm, provocation and gallows humor might have come across as flippancy, a lack of care for other victims or, worse, advocacy. I am horrified by that impression.”
The British writer said he was resigning from Breitbart, which helped make him a star, because it would be “wrong to allow my poor choice of words to detract from my colleagues’ important reporting.”
Most Read Business Stories
- Big developer backs out of $25M South Lake Union land deal, blaming coronavirus downturn
- Boeing job cuts will fall heavily on engineers and machinists
- Key Russian air cargo customer sues Boeing over widebodies, highlighting how coronavirus shifted market
- 'Back in the game': SpaceX ship blasts off with 2 astronauts WATCH
- Microsoft is cutting dozens of MSN news production workers and replacing them with artificial intelligence
The apology followed days of criticism from fellow conservatives after the release of video clips in which Yiannopoulos appeared to defend sexual relationships between men and boys as young as 13.
In one of them, Yiannopoulos, who is gay, said relationships between boys and men could “help those young boys discover who they are and give them security and safety and provide them with love and a reliable sort of rock, where they can’t speak to their parents.”
On Monday, he was disinvited from the Conservative Political Action Conference after video of his remarks was promoted through social media.
Publisher Simon & Schuster announced it would cancel the publication of his upcoming book, “Dangerous.” Yiannopoulos said the book had already received interest from other publishers and would still come out this year. He pledged to donate 10 percent of the proceeds to child sex abuse charities.
But he also said the flare-up over remarks made a year ago “is a cynical media witch hunt from people who do not care about children. They care about destroying me and my career and, by extension, my allies.”
Yiannopoulos has long been known for provocative comments about women and Muslims and made his support for Republican Donald Trump clear in the last presidential election cycle. He was the technology editor at Breitbart News, whose former executive chairman, Steve Bannon, is now a senior adviser to Trump, who became president last month.
Before this controversy, Yiannopoulos was perhaps best known for getting banned from Twitter for helping to lead an online harassment campaign against comedian and “Ghostbusters” actress Leslie Jones.
Early in February, he was scheduled to give a talk at the University of California, Berkeley, but the speech was cancelled after violent protests.
Yiannopoulos has appeared, until now, to revel in those controversies and has portrayed himself as a champion of free speech. Tuesday’s apology, he said, was the first he’d ever made.
Still, the video clips, he insisted, had been edited to remove important context. He characterized media reporting on the tapes as unfair and inaccurate.