ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Marriott International Inc. is planning a new $600 million headquarters in Maryland.
Marriott announced Tuesday that the new complex in Bethesda, a few miles from its current home, will have 700,000 square feet of office space for more than 3,500 employees. A Marriott-branded hotel will be built on the site with more than 200 rooms.
Marriott President and CEO Arne Sorenson says Marriott has been headquartered in Montgomery County, Maryland, for more than 60 years, and intends to stay close to its roots. The company reviewed options in Washington, D.C., as well as Virginia’s Arlington and Fairfax counties.
Marriott is considering several downtown Bethesda sites and expects to choose a final site in the first half of next year.
Most Read Stories
- 'The Big Dark' is here as first of three storms rolls into Northwest on stretch of trans-Pacific moisture
- Boeing, reversing tide of cuts, rushes to bring back retirees as temps
- As Amazon’s deadline for HQ2 bids closes, speculation on winner heats up
- Midweek rain in Seattle area is just hint of what's to come, forecasters say
- Seattle startup co-founder Matt Bencke was ‘a force of nature’ | Obituary
Marriott International has more than 5,700 properties in more than 110 countries.