The help-desk team helps employees with IT issues, and needed to be in the same Eastern and Central time zones as the majority of the insurer's employees, the company said.
Liberty Mutual laid off 40 employees in Seattle last month when the insurer moved its information technology help-desk team into other U.S. offices.
The team helps employees with IT issues, and needed to be in the same time zones as the majority of employees — Eastern and Central time zones — a spokesman for Boston-based Liberty Mutual said.
One employee who was laid off said the company told workers the cost of doing business was part of the reason for the move, and their work could be done for less money outside Seattle. The company spokesman declined to comment on the cost considerations.
The affected employees in Seattle were informed in September and given severance pay when they were laid off Dec. 31.
Most Read Business Stories
- A 'pivotal year' for Nordstrom: New NYC flagship store part of a huge bet on the company's future
- Retail survivors: How four family-owned Washington shops have made it in the Amazon era
- Seattle-area rents drop significantly for first time this decade as new apartments sit empty
- I shared my phone number. I learned I shouldn’t have.
- Worried about a recession? Protect yourself but don't panic
Liberty Mutual’s Safeco brand is headquartered in Seattle and employs more than 1,600 people in the area.