For those suffering financial hardship, filing for personal bankruptcy — Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 — may seem the only option. But filing can affect a person’s credit standing for many years after. So before doing anything, check out the following websites.
American Bar Association: Discusses bankruptcy pros, cons alternatives. http://seati.ms/15KbJDz
Bankruptcy Law: The 10 things a person should know.
Internal Revenue Service:
Guidelines for filing for Chapter 7 and Chapter 13.
Most Read Business Stories
- The penthouse atop Smith Tower is on the rental market for the first time
- Amazon sued by Black cloud-computing manager, over alleged racial discrimination and sexual harassment
- Washington state ‘literally failed workers,’ and fixing the unemployment system won't be easy
- Downtowns will be back, but Seattle has choices to make
- Costco, Whole Foods rise in Greenpeace rankings of grocery chains' plastic use