DETROIT (AP) — The Ilitch companies, which include the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings, is considering the creation of a regional sports network to cover its teams and offer other programming.
Officials with the Detroit-based organization said Thursday they have put no timeline on a potential launch, but called it a natural extension of the business. The idea comes as it considers renewing or extending its deal with FOX Sports Detroit.
The network would serve as the teams’ television, broadcast and distribution hub. The organization notes other regional sports networks fully or partially owned by sports teams include the New York Yankees’ YES Network and the New York Knicks’ and Rangers’ MSG.
The Ilitch organization is family owned. Patriarch Mike Ilitch, who died last year, founded Little Caesars in 1959 with his wife, Marian.
Most Read Business Stories
- Some bosses want workers back in the office despite COVID. Here's why
- Chaos at Sea-Tac Airport still a risk despite 5G wireless deal
- Tax season 2022: What to know about child credit and stimulus payments
- Microsoft buys game maker Activision Blizzard for about $70B
- In tiny Wyoming town, Bill Gates bets big on nuclear power