FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — The number of jobless people in Germany fell by 183,000 in December compared with a year earlier and the country finished the year with a record 44.3 million people in work.
The unemployment rate remained unchanged from the month before at 5.3 percent according to Germany’s national jobs agency. Some 2.385 million people were unemployed. Their number rose 17,000 in December over the month before, but that was less than the usual winter increase.
Agency head Detlef Scheele said Wednesday that the demand by companies for new employees was still “rising strongly.”
Germany has seen its unemployment rate fall amid strong exports and rising domestic demand for goods.
Most Read Business Stories
- Seattle-area home price cool-down stands out among U.S. cities
- Flawed analysis, failed oversight: How Boeing, FAA certified the suspect 737 MAX flight control system | Times Watchdog
- Boeing has 737 MAX software fix ready for airlines as DOT launches new scrutiny of entire FAA certification process
- Belltown penthouse is region’s priciest condo sale ever — and new owners won't even live there
- Amazon finds an alternative workforce through Northwest Center, a Seattle nonprofit helping people with disabilities
The number of people in work was the highest since German reunification in 1990.