FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — The number of jobless people in Germany fell by 183,000 in December compared with a year earlier and the country finished the year with a record 44.3 million people in work.
The unemployment rate remained unchanged from the month before at 5.3 percent according to Germany’s national jobs agency. Some 2.385 million people were unemployed. Their number rose 17,000 in December over the month before, but that was less than the usual winter increase.
Agency head Detlef Scheele said Wednesday that the demand by companies for new employees was still “rising strongly.”
Germany has seen its unemployment rate fall amid strong exports and rising domestic demand for goods.
Most Read Business Stories
- T-Mobile's brash CEO sprints to top of best-paid leaders at Pacific Northwest companies
- Boeing faces largest quarterly loss in its history after a $4.9 billion financial hit due to 737 MAX grounding
- Northwest CEOs saw a lopsided bump in equity pay
- Runaway executive pay is distorting the economy and aggravating inequality | Jon Talton
- Toys R Us is back from the dead, but its new stores are unrecognizable
The number of people in work was the highest since German reunification in 1990.