Bartell Drugs named former REI executive Brian Unmacht as president of the Seattle-based drugstore chain.
The move helps outline the succession plans for top leadership of the 63-store, family-owned company.
CEO George D. Bartell, who held the title of president during the 1990’s, said in a statement that the company’s “senior leadership team has never been stronger, and Brian will play a key role in our long range planning and growth.”
Bartell has led the company since 1990, the third person to do so in its 125-year history.
Most Read Business Stories
- Downtown Seattle's troubles go beyond the pandemic
- Oregon company's iron battery breakthrough could eat lithium's lunch
- Former Boeing pilot indicted on fraud charges related to 737 MAX crashes that killed 346
- For Pike Place Market and its vendors, COVID was yet another test of survival
- New apartments are built, but renters can’t get in. Here’s what is causing the logjam in Seattle
Unmacht, a former chief operating officer at outdoor gear retailer REI, also served as interim CEO of that company between March and September 2013; he started at REI in 1986 as a store supervisor. Unmacht has been a member of Bartell’s board of directors since 2011.