ATLANTA — Rattled shoppers at an Atlanta grocery store had to abandon their carts and flee after someone ignited a fireworks display indoors, causing some to fear a shooter was inside the building.
Someone ignited the display inside the Publix store on the city’s south side about 5 p.m. Thursday, setting off the sprinkler system and causing everyone inside to be evacuated.
“People heard the fireworks going off and some people thought it was an active shooter,” Sgt. Cortez Stafford said Friday. “With all those fireworks going off, it put off a lot of smoke and almost immediately filled up the store.”
No one suffered serious injuries, but one woman was taken to a hospital with minor injuries, Stafford said. “She was more shaken up than anything,” he said.
Most Read Stories
- Give to panhandlers or don’t? Some towns try cracking down
- Ex-Seahawk Marshawn Lynch watches Raiders game from the stands, rides BART train after being ejected
- Seattle startup co-founder Matt Bencke was ‘a force of nature’ | Obituary
- A chilly La Niña winter likely in Pacific Northwest, but don’t fret about drenching of last year
- Check out this new drone footage of the Bertha-dug Highway 99 tunnel WATCH
A photo from the fire department showed a massive pile of charred fireworks in one of the aisles. The display, about 3 feet to 4 feet high, included sparklers and a variety of other fireworks.
The blaze activated a sprinkler head above the display, which put out most of the fire. Fire crews then doused hot spots, Stafford said.
“The Publix employees did a really good job getting people out of the store to the best of their ability – kudos to them,” he said.
A group of teenagers is suspected of setting off the fireworks, fire officials said.
Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com