NEW YORK (AP) — Craigslist founder Craig Newmark is donating $20 million to the City University of New York’s Graduate School of Journalism .
The institution will be renamed the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York.
Newmark says it’s important to build a sustainable future for trustworthy journalism.
The New York Times says Craigslist put a dent in newspaper classified ads and is often blamed, in part, for the industry’s revenue decline.
Most Read Business Stories
- Some bosses want workers back in the office despite COVID. Here's why
- Chaos at Sea-Tac Airport still a risk despite 5G wireless deal
- Tax season 2022: What to know about child credit and stimulus payments
- Microsoft buys game maker Activision Blizzard for about $70B
- In tiny Wyoming town, Bill Gates bets big on nuclear power
Newmark says newspapers started losing circulation and revenue “long before Craigslist.”
He’s also made major donations to other institutions devoted to journalism.
Newmark, who’s making the donation through Craig Newmark Philanthropies, says he especially admires CUNY’s (KYOO’-neez) commitment to diversity and scholarship support.
Information from: The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com