NEW YORK (AP) — Craigslist founder Craig Newmark is donating $20 million to the City University of New York’s Graduate School of Journalism .
The institution will be renamed the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York.
Newmark says it’s important to build a sustainable future for trustworthy journalism.
The New York Times says Craigslist put a dent in newspaper classified ads and is often blamed, in part, for the industry’s revenue decline.
Most Read Business Stories
- How does Google's monopoly hurt you? Try these searches.
- Amazon extends working from home into summer. That could rattle downtown Seattle retailers, restaurants.
- Amazon's warehouses have more costly workplace injury claims than meatpacking or logging, Washington state says
- IRS extends deadline for stimulus payments. Here's who can still apply and how to get a check.
- How Trump plowed through $1 billion, losing cash advantage
Newmark says newspapers started losing circulation and revenue “long before Craigslist.”
He’s also made major donations to other institutions devoted to journalism.
Newmark, who’s making the donation through Craig Newmark Philanthropies, says he especially admires CUNY’s (KYOO’-neez) commitment to diversity and scholarship support.
Information from: The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com