NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. stocks are opening modestly higher as the market recovers from a loss the day before.
Several companies were moving on earnings news early Tuesday.
Hertz jumped 10 percent after reporting earnings that were better than analysts were expecting. AutoZone rose 2 percent after its own results beat forecasts.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 71 points, or 0.4 percent, to 16,589.
Most Read Stories
- Everett’s bikini baristas head to federal court to argue for freedom of exposure
- A Washington syrah was named second best wine in the world
- Anthony Bourdain's 'Parts Unknown' came to Seattle: What did you think of the episode?
- Parents, adult son believed dead in Sammamish murder-suicide
- Look at some of the weird places people put shared bikes in Seattle
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index gained 10 points, or 0.5 percent, to 1,942. The Nasdaq composite climbed 25 points, or 0.6 percent, to 4,583.
Bond prices rose. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 1.73 percent.