A residential neighborhood appeared next to an airfield for two years near the end of World War II.
During World War II, a strange, house-filled neighborhood could be seen in the middle of an industrial area from the air.
A close-up look would reveal that it was camouflage for Boeing’s Plant No. 2, where thousands of B-17 bombers were produced.
The “neighborhood” was completed in 1944 and removed a year after the war.
The Seattle Daily Times printed a photo of the camouflage village atop the plant for the first time on July 23, 1945 — about three weeks before V-J Day — describing it as the “Boeing Wonderland.”
Most Read Business Stories
- FAA flags potential safety problem in layout of controls on Boeing 767 and 757 planes
- Here’s one more sign of cooling in Seattle’s hot housing market
- US McDonald's workers strike to protest workplace harassment
- Boeing returns to red ink, projects $1 billion lost from 787 quality issues
- Zillow's zeal to outbid for homes backfires in flipping fumble
The ground was made of burlap, canvas and chicken wire, while the lawns and trees were chicken feathers and spun glass, according the the article.
Buildings were just 4 feet tall and made of wood to complete the illusion of the neighborhood covering 26 acres.
A Feb. 20, 1982, obituary named G.W. Dennis the designer.