A residential neighborhood appeared next to an airfield for two years near the end of World War II.
During World War II, a strange, house-filled neighborhood could be seen in the middle of an industrial area from the air.
A close-up look would reveal that it was camouflage for Boeing’s Plant No. 2, where thousands of B-17 bombers were produced.
The “neighborhood” was completed in 1944 and removed a year after the war.
The Seattle Daily Times printed a photo of the camouflage village atop the plant for the first time on July 23, 1945 — about three weeks before V-J Day — describing it as the “Boeing Wonderland.”
Most Read Business Stories
- FedEx close to a deal to operate out of Paine Field as Boeing abandons its 787 Dreamlifter center
- U.S. readies small-business grants as PPP nears end
- How to get property tax help if your business was hurt by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Amazon is opening a hair salon
- Kroger is amassing a robot army to battle Amazon, Walmart
The ground was made of burlap, canvas and chicken wire, while the lawns and trees were chicken feathers and spun glass, according the the article.
Buildings were just 4 feet tall and made of wood to complete the illusion of the neighborhood covering 26 acres.
A Feb. 20, 1982, obituary named G.W. Dennis the designer.