BEIJING (AP) — A blast in an industrial park in a southwestern province has killed 19 people and injured 12 others, China’s official Xinhua News Agency said Friday.
The blast occurred at the Yibin Hengda Technology Co., a chemical plant in an industrial park in the city of Yibin in Sichuan province at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Xinhua said.
Xinhua cited the Jiang’an county government as saying the fire was put out on Friday morning and the injured were in stable condition.
Efforts have been made to improve work safety standards but deadly industrial accidents remain common in China, where enforcement of safety regulations can sometimes be lax.
Most Read Business Stories
- Flawed analysis, failed oversight: How Boeing, FAA certified the suspect 737 MAX flight control system | Times Watchdog
- With regulators wary, Boeing faces more hurdles to restore 737 MAX fleet
- Delegating aircraft safety assessments to Boeing is nothing new for the FAA
- Bill Gates joins Jeff Bezos as the only two members of the $100 billion club
- Chief of Starbucks' high-end initiative takes a 'coffee break' leave