Etsy bumps fees and revenue outlook, sending shares surging
BROOKLYN, N.Y. (AP) — Etsy’s stock soared on Thursday after the online crafts company announced an increase in fees and boosted its revenue outlook for the year.
The Brooklyn company that the transaction fee charged when a person or business makes a sale will rise from 3.5 percent, to 5 percent. It will also apply to the shipping cost. The fee will be increased starting on July 16.
Etsy Inc. has 2 million active sellers and nearly 35 million active buyers.
The company now sees 2018 revenue growth of between 32 percent and 34 percent. Its prior forecast was for 22 percent to 24 percent growth.
Most Read Business Stories
- Troublesome advanced engines for Boeing, Airbus jets have disrupted airlines and shaken travelers
- Your Wi-Fi security is probably weak — here’s how to fix it
- Pricey Seattle apartment tower ripping out pipes to fix leaks, as tenants fume
- Repealing head tax, Seattle avoids walking into the propeller | Jon Talton
- Hands off my data! 15 more default privacy settings you should change on your TV, phone plan, LinkedIn and more
Shares jumped $8.66, or more than 26 percent, to close at $41.65. The stock has doubled in the year to date.