The Amazon boss has $75.6 billion, trailing only Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates with $80 billion, according to Bloomberg’s billionaire index.
Jeff Bezos is now the world’s second-richest person.
By the end of the day Wednesday, Bezos had $700 million more than Berkshire Hathaway’s Buffett and $1.4 billion more than Ortega, the founder of Inditex and Europe’s richest person, according to Bloomberg.
Most Read Business Stories
- Apple warns of security flaw for iPhones, iPads and Macs
- Gravity Payments CEO Dan Price resigns
- For Gravity Payments CEO, social media was bullhorn and way to lure women
- Home appraised with a Black owner: $472,000. With a white owner? $750,000
- Truck drivers for Seattle sandwich maker Homegrown asked for a raise, then came the cameras
Bezos’ jump comes one day after Amazon purchased the Middle East’s biggest online retailer, Souq.com.
Information from The Seattle Times archives was included in this report.