Amazon says Monday brought the highest single day of sales ever for the online retailer, surpassing the total of its Prime Day of deals earlier this year.
Amazon said Monday was the biggest sales day in the history of its retail website, a Cyber Monday triumph for the online retailer that helped cement the pillar of the American holiday shopping season.
The company said sales surpassed Amazon’s previous high-water mark: this summer’s Prime Day, the period of flash sales aimed at customers of the membership program.
In typical Amazon fashion, the company didn’t disclose a specific sales figure. But the Seattle company did offer a clue about the number of toys, electronics and books now making their way out of its warehouses and to customers.
Independent sellers on Amazon sold 140 million items during the five days beginning on Thanksgiving, the company said. In recent quarters, such sellers have accounted for about half of Amazon’s overall unit sales, which includes the goods in Amazon’s own inventory.
Most Read Business Stories
- Foreign tech workers face higher hurdles in H-1B visa applications
- Boeing can't wrest away big Airbus customer's A330neo order
- Boeing may build its 797 with a metal fuselage to keep costs down - and that could favor Everett
- Boeing exec says 797 jet still likely to have a composite fuselage, not metal
- As the Farnborough Air Show ends, Boeing emerges clearly ahead