The move comes as the company ramps up its political spending and raises its profile as a corporate citizen.
Amazon.com has hired veteran D.C. lobbyist Seth Bloom to be its knight in shining armor in matters antitrust, according to a report by Politico.
The move comes as Amazon ramps up its political spending, as well as raising its profile as a corporate citizen. The company declined to comment about the hire.
As for the need of an antitrust adviser, it’s a testament to Amazon’s now massive size. The retailer is not only one of the biggest companies by market value in the S&P 500, but also it has become the biggest player in the growing field of e-commerce and in cloud computing. Its Marketplace platform, where third-party merchants perform transactions and which competes against eBay, Etsy and other sites, has also become a force of its own.
Amazon has been the subject of antitrust investigations in Europe and, according to news agency Reuters, in Japan. In the U.S., Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., has accused Amazon and other big U.S. tech companies of trying to lock competitors out. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump, who has no love for Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, has said that the company has “a huge antitrust problem”
Most Read Stories
- 'The Big Dark' is here as first of three storms rolls into Northwest on stretch of trans-Pacific moisture
- 'The Big Dark': Satellite image shows future rain clouds stretching from China to Puget Sound
- Boeing, reversing tide of cuts, rushes to bring back retirees as temps
- Bail set at $1M for uncle suspected of killing Lynnwood 6-year-old
- As Amazon’s deadline for HQ2 bids closes, speculation on winner heats up
Bloom, the founder of Bloom Strategic Counsel, is a former general counsel of the Senate Judiciary Committee’s Antitrust Subcommittee, and was once an antitrust trial attorney at the U.S. Justice Department.
His firm has advised companies in large mergers, including MillerCoors, Aetna, and Pfizer. He has also helped Microsoft on competition issues, according to his LinkedIn profile.