Lauren Tran grew up in Federal Way and went to the UW. The original plan was to go to medical school. But her true passion — creating Vietnamese sweets — beckoned. And now, the homegrown chef who has worked at Momofuku Ko and Gramercy Tavern is selling out at every pop-up she hosts in Seattle.
- Coronavirus daily news updates, April 14: What to know today about COVID-19
- Slew of police reform bills headed to Gov. Jay Inslee’s desk
- House panel votes to advance bill on slavery reparations
- Western State Hospital CEO who led Washington’s psychiatric facility through turbulence to step down
- Republican Tiffany Smiley plans to challenge Patty Murray in U.S. Senate race
- Kent to pay $4.4 million to family of Black man killed by police
- Bicyclist killed by driver in Seward Park remembered as ‘great colleague, a dear friend’
A statue of the late Billy Frank Jr. will stand in the U.S. Capitol, thanks to a bill the governor signed at a ceremony on the Nisqually reservation. Overhead was Frank's canoe, confiscated in many raids as Native fishermen sought their treaty rights.
More Top Stories
- Toddler injured in Central District shooting upgraded to serious condition
- Coronavirus tests have fallen in Washington — here's why that could be a problem
- Voters could decide Seattle homelessness strategy
- Should Washington drop a mandatory test for new teachers?
- 3 arrested in Seattle protest; fire set at Portland police union building
- Former Minnesota cop charged in shooting of Black motorist
- Why are so many Christians in Colombia converting to Orthodox Judaism?
- ‘White Lives Matter’ rallies fizzled; hate groups still see chance to ‘fire up the base’
- Defense expert blames George Floyd’s death on heart trouble
- ‘The Bachelor’ star Colton Underwood comes out as gay
- A cook at a frat house was like a mother to the members. Years later, they paid off her mortgage.
- After months on the lam, 'Buddy' the beefalo who fled slaughterhouse is caught
Most Read Stories
- You return $10,000 found on Issaquah road: Your reward?
- Seattle man wonders if his childhood friend is the leader of Q-Anon
- Seattle really is 'CRAZYTOWN' — and it will be our salvation after a rough year
- Coronavirus daily news updates, April 13: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- The tax-filing deadline was delayed, but read the fine print. You may still need to pay by April 15.
- Here are the 2 best ways to achieve crispy bacon
- Here’s an easy-to-make recipe for delicious Indian butter chicken | Cooking with Sadie
- Here’s the tea: What you need to know about green tea and its health benefits
- Proof spring is soup season, too: This bright bowl packed with peas, leeks, spinach and herbs
- Here are food critic Tan Vinh’s 3 favorite family takeout meal deals in and around Seattle this month
- Stop the college sports ‘arms race’ | Opinion
- Biden offers false hope to sell his Afghanistan surrender | Eli Lake / Syndicated columnist
- Welcome back students to school and to Metro transit | Op-Ed
- A fitting home for Haring Center’s innovative work | Editorial
- In the traffic stop of a Black Army officer in Virginia, echoes of George Floyd | Dahleen Glanton / Syndicated columnist
- Alarms should be sounding in U.S. after hit on Natanz | Bobby Ghosh / Syndicated columnist
- With No. 11 overall pick, Storm taking wait-and-see approach to 2021 WNBA draft
- Observations from the UW Huskies’ fifth football practice of the spring
- Mariners to play doubleheader at Baltimore after rain postpones Wednesday’s game
- Sounders goalkeeper Stefan Frei agrees to contract extension through 2023
- Seattle’s spring beauty is on display on this hike from Puget Sound to Lake Washington
- Seattle Independent Bookstore Day is back this year — with a twist
- Top releases this week on Netflix, Amazon, Disney+ and other streaming services
- Seattle and Atlanta theaters team up to connect Black theaters, nurture Black playwrights
- Seattle Black Film Festival starts this week with twice as many films as last year