The crowded animal shelter on the Hawaii island of Kauai has come up with a novel way of getting some of its dogs adopted.
The Kauai Humane Society since December has been reaching out to tourists and other travelers willing to bring a dog with them as extra luggage when they fly to California and Oregon.
The shelter gets a lot of stray and abandoned dogs derived from hunting breeds that are used for hunting feral pigs on Kauai. So far, 24 dogs have been adopted through the program, which also is working with the Oregon Humane Society in Portland.
Shelter officials say the Hawaii dogs get snatched up quickly after languishing in Kauai’s shelter for months because they are different from what is normally offered for adoption.
- 4 Mount Rainier High teens charged in alleged gang rape on field trip
- Donate to a charity? IRS sets rules for taking deductions
- How opera, QVC and his ‘Dirty Jobs’ gig prepared Mike Rowe for the Seattle stage
- Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79
- Examining if the Seahawks would be a good fit for Matt Forte