The crowded animal shelter on the Hawaii island of Kauai has come up with a novel way of getting some of its dogs adopted.
The Kauai Humane Society since December has been reaching out to tourists and other travelers willing to bring a dog with them as extra luggage when they fly to California and Oregon.
The shelter gets a lot of stray and abandoned dogs derived from hunting breeds that are used for hunting feral pigs on Kauai. So far, 24 dogs have been adopted through the program, which also is working with the Oregon Humane Society in Portland.
Shelter officials say the Hawaii dogs get snatched up quickly after languishing in Kauai’s shelter for months because they are different from what is normally offered for adoption.
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
- Pedestrian struck on I-5 dies
- Grading the game: Seattle Seahawks’ offense earns perfect mark against Pittsburgh Steelers
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle tops Pittsburgh Steelers, 39-30, in back-and-forth thriller