The crowded animal shelter on the Hawaii island of Kauai has come up with a novel way of getting some of its dogs adopted.
The Kauai Humane Society since December has been reaching out to tourists and other travelers willing to bring a dog with them as extra luggage when they fly to California and Oregon.
The shelter gets a lot of stray and abandoned dogs derived from hunting breeds that are used for hunting feral pigs on Kauai. So far, 24 dogs have been adopted through the program, which also is working with the Oregon Humane Society in Portland.
Shelter officials say the Hawaii dogs get snatched up quickly after languishing in Kauai’s shelter for months because they are different from what is normally offered for adoption.
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Legislature OKs new budget with rare tuition cuts and pay raises for teachers
- WSP: Brush fires along I-5 near Marysville were likely arson