Amtrak trains and Sounder commuter trains won’t travel between Seattle and Everett for at least another day because of a mudslide.
Burlington Northern Santa Fe has extended a safety moratorium until 3:20 a.m. Friday to make certain tracks are safe where a slide hit early Tuesday about three miles south of Mukilteo. The slide covered both sets of the double-main line tracks about 15 feet deep in mud, rocks and trees.
Spokesman Gus Melonas says freight trains were rolling again by Tuesday afternoon but some mud was still sliding so the 48-hour safety moratorium for passenger trains was extended.
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Five things to watch as Seahawks begin OTAs Monday
- Ivar’s looks to sell, lease back two venerable restaurant sites
- What the national media are saying about Robinson Cano and the Mariners' hot start to the season