Amtrak trains and Sounder commuter trains won’t travel between Seattle and Everett for at least another day because of a mudslide.
Burlington Northern Santa Fe has extended a safety moratorium until 3:20 a.m. Friday to make certain tracks are safe where a slide hit early Tuesday about three miles south of Mukilteo. The slide covered both sets of the double-main line tracks about 15 feet deep in mud, rocks and trees.
Spokesman Gus Melonas says freight trains were rolling again by Tuesday afternoon but some mud was still sliding so the 48-hour safety moratorium for passenger trains was extended.
- Tourists robbed, beaten downtown ‘afraid to go back’ to Seattle
- Animated map: How the wildfires in North Central Washington have grown over time
- Steve Sarkisian was reimbursed by Washington for hefty alcohol bills
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor holdout FAQ
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik