ANAHEIM, Calif. — Disneyland’s Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage will close for a refurbishment that won’t be complete until late 2014.
The underwater ride that circles a lagoon will close on Jan. 6. About 5 million gallons of water will be drained, then workers will make improvements to the attraction.
The Orange County Register reports the water will go into the local groundwater aquifer after it is treated.
The original Submarine Voyage debuted in 1959 and was inspired by the first nuclear-powered submarine voyage to the North Pole the year before.
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Amid Zika fears, local family shares the reality of microcephaly
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
Most Read Stories
The attraction was closed in 1998, and reopened in 2007 with a theme based on Pixar’s “Finding Nemo” animated movie.