YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. — A young girl has died after falling about 550 feet while hiking in Yellowstone National Park.
The National Park Service says the accident occurred Sunday morning in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.
The victim’s name, age and hometown have not been released.
According to the Park Service, the girl and members of her family were hiking down a trail on the north side of the canyon to the Brink of the Lower Falls overlook. The agency says the child apparently stepped off the trail and lost her footing.
- Tourists robbed, beaten downtown ‘afraid to go back’ to Seattle
- Animated map: How the wildfires in North Central Washington have grown over time
- Steve Sarkisian was reimbursed by Washington for hefty alcohol bills
- Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor holdout FAQ
- Why did the Mariners’ season go terribly wrong?
Most Read Stories
Her body was retrieved around noon Sunday.
The incident remains under investigation.