YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. — A young girl has died after falling about 550 feet while hiking in Yellowstone National Park.
The National Park Service says the accident occurred Sunday morning in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.
The victim’s name, age and hometown have not been released.
According to the Park Service, the girl and members of her family were hiking down a trail on the north side of the canyon to the Brink of the Lower Falls overlook. The agency says the child apparently stepped off the trail and lost her footing.
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
- The story of one homeless girl, Brittany, who was failed time and again
- Black Friday protesters decry materialism, racism, violence
- Holiday and Independence Bowls are potential destinations for UW and WSU
Most Read Stories
Her body was retrieved around noon Sunday.
The incident remains under investigation.