Tanner Chleborad struck out a career-high 10 and Michael Monda drove in the game’s only run as host Washington State defeated Utah 1-0 in Pac-12 baseball Sunday.
Chleborad (3-6) gave up four hits and walked one in eight innings. He fanned the side in the first and retired 14 in a row after allowing the first two men to reach base in the fourth.
Matt Bower struck out the first man he faced in the ninth before giving up a hit. An error by the Cougars (22-24, 12-12 Pac-12) with Ian Hamilton on the hill put runners at first and second. Hamilton then induced Josh Rose to bounce into a game-ending, double play for his Pac-12 leading 14th save against the Utes (15-30, 4-20.
Track and field
- Microsoft pair claim 'hostess bar' expense queries led to firing
- Slugger Nelson Cruz makes strong first impression with Mariners
- Forecasters say gas prices are set to soar
- Thursday morning musings: Mel Kiper says Seattle pick "very difficult to predict right now''
Most Read Stories
• Washington State freshman Alissa Brooks-Johnson was the runner-up in the heptathlon at the Pac-12 Multi Events Championships in Pullman.
Brooks-Johnson scored 5,325 points, seventh-best all-time for WSU. Another freshman, USC’s Amalie Iuel, won the heptathlon with 5,378 points while Arizona senior, Amber Passalaqua, finished third with 5,313 points.
Brooks-Johnson opened the second day of the heptathlon with a long jump of 17 feet, 11 inches. She threw the javelin a lifetime-best 137-3, moving into third place in the heptathlon standings going into the final event. Brooks-Johnson ran the 800 meters in a personal-best 2 minutes, 15.05 seconds.
Oregon junior Dakota Keys claimed his third Pac-12 decathlon title with 7,801 points, with USC’s Viktor Fajoyomi second with 7,489 points and Oregon’s Mitch Modin third with 7,310 points.
• Gonzaga scored four runs in the fifth inning for 5-2 series clincher over UC Davis (20-27) in a shortened game in Spokane.
The game was called after the Aggies batted in the sixth inning because of a travel curfew.
Gonzaga (22-26) won its seventh series of the year.
From sports-information reports.