Washington scored five runs in the fifth inning and Kaitlin Inglesby allowed four hits as the Huskies shut down host Stanford 7-0 in a Pac-12 softball game Thursday night.
In the big fifth inning, the 10th-ranked Huskies (23-10, 3-6 Pac-12) scored two runs on an error and one on a wild pitch. The Huskies also took advantage of 10 overall walks by Stanford (24-15, 1-9).
Huskies’ leading hitter Victoria Hayward was 3 for 4 with an RBI.
- Beloved Mama's Mexican Kitchen in Belltown to close
- Paul Allen's First & Goal signs letter expressing concerns over Sodo arena
- Seattle no longer America's fastest-growing city
- West Seattle couple leaves all their assets -- $847,215 -- to Uncle Sam
- Helmet camera captured deadly Yosemite cliff jump
Most Read Stories
• Washington junior right-hander Tyler Davis
is among those on the USA Baseball 50-man midseason Golden Spikes Award watch list.
Davis, from Mountain View, Calif., pitched his way from obscurity to national prominence in the month of March. He was 4-0 with a 0.91 earned-run average in five March starts.
For the season, Davis is 6-1 with a 1.16 ERA. He has allowed six earned runs in 462
3 innings. He has struck out 29 and walked just four batters
In the Pac-12 rankings, he is second in ERA, second in wins, tied for second in runs allowed (nine) and tied for first in fewest bases on balls allowed.
The Huskies (22-6-1, 10-2 Pac-12) have yet to lose a series in Pac-12 action and enter the weekend with a one-game lead over Oregon State and 2½-game lead over UCLA and Washington State.
The Huskies have won 19 of 21 games. They cracked the top 10 in two polls — eighth in Collegiate Baseball News and ninth in Baseball America.
The Huskies will host Stanford (10-14, 3-6) in a three-game weekend series at Husky Ballpark.
• Washington State’s football game at Nevada has been moved to Friday, Sept. 5, and will be televised by ESPN or ESPN2 at 7:30 p.m. The game had previously been scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 6, but was moved to accommodate a nationally-televised broadcast.
From sports-information reports.