Washington State senior safety Deone Bucannon was named a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, given to the top defensive back in college football.
Bucannon enters the week leading the Pac-12 with 73 tackles and tied for second with four interceptions. He owns team-highs of three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. The Fairfield, Calif., native has two double-digit tackle games this season and is tied for fourth in WSU history with 343 career tackles and 13 interceptions.
Bucannon is the first Cougar to be named a semifinalist since Jason David in 2003.
- Mariners prospect hit by boat dies at age 20
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Low wages for aerospace workers despite tax breaks for employers
- Let's cut traffic by road rationing, Italian style
- A mom's tweet about Oreos in school stirs up culture wars
Most Read Stories
• Juhee Lee is fourth at 1-over-par 74, one stroke out of first place and the Seattle University women’s golf team is tied for second place after the first round of the Firestone Grill Cal Poly Invitational at Cypress Ridge Golf Course in Arroyo Grande.
Seattle University combined for a first-round score of 24-over 316, tied with Sonoma State and UC Riverside for second place.
• Bill Buchan of Medina was among the inductees into the National Sailing Hall of Fame in Annapolis, Md. Buchan was a three-time Star World Champion (1961, ’70, ’85) and a 1984 Olympic gold medalist.
Players of the week
Hockey: Everett Silvertips forward Josh Winquist was selected as the WHL player of the week.
Men’s soccer: Cody Lang, Seattle Pacific, Great Northwest Athletic Conference defensive player of the week; Joe Galbraith, Northwest University, Cascade Collegiate Conference defensive player of the week.
Football: Cooper Kupp, Eastern Washington, FCS co-freshman of the week.
Volleyball: Lianna Sybeld, Washington, Pac-12 offensive player of the week; Madi Cavell, Seattle Pacific, GNAC offensive player of the week.
Women’s soccer: Julia Besagno, Seattle University, WAC offensive player of the week; Catherine Miles, Western Washington, GNAC offensive player of the week.
Women’s golf: Kristen Hansen, Western Washington, GNAC.
Men’s golf: Chris Hatch, Western Washington, GNAC.
From sports-information reports.