Reggie Moore, a Rainier Beach High School graduate, was dismissed from the Washington State men's basketball team for a violation of team rules.
Reggie Moore, a senior guard from Rainier Beach High School who was expected to be one of the keys to the 2012-13 basketball season at Washington State, has been dismissed from the Cougars for violation of team rules.
“Reggie has been an important part of the basketball program the last three years and I wish him the very best in the future,” coach Ken Bone said in a terse, two-paragraph release issued by the school.
Moore, who was WSU’s third-leading scorer last year and No. 1 in assists and steals, was cited early in 2011 for marijuana possession on campus and was briefly suspended.
Although Moore had an up-and-down career with the Cougars, the dismissal is a blow to a team projected for the Pac-12’s second division. Moore played strongly in the postseason College Basketball Invitational — averaging 15.8 points and hitting 48 of 60 free throws in six games — as the Cougars went to the final without injured leading scorer Brock Motum.
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- Could losing Jimmy Graham somehow help galvanize the Seattle Seahawks for a playoff run?
Most Read Stories
Moore made the Pac-10 all-freshman team in 2010, averaging 12.7 points. As a sophomore, he battled a wrist injury all season and averaged 9.1 while shooting only .352. He improved to 10.2 points as a junior but his shooting percentage was .361.
Without Moore, the Cougars likely will try to divide the point-guard role among three players seen as “combination” guards or off-guards: Sophomore DaVonte Lacy, Rainier Beach product Mike Ladd and Kansas transfer Royce Woolridge.
The Cougars announced recently that DeMarquise “Que” Johnson, a highly regarded recruit at guard, was a partial academic qualifier and will have to sit out the season.
Bud Withers: 206-464-8281 or email@example.com