RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil – After a few days of reflection, Luis Suarez acknowledged what millions saw on television — he did bite an opponent during a match at the World Cup. In addition, he said he is sorry about it, and promised it will never happen again.
Ending a unified protest in Uruguay by everyone from Suarez to teammates, fans and even the country’s president that the standout striker had done nothing wrong, the Liverpool player on Monday offered an apology to Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.
“I deeply regret what occurred,” Suarez said in a statement posted on Twitter. “I apologize to Giorgio Chiellini and the entire football family. … I vow to the public that there will never again be another incident like (this).”
The Uruguay player was banned for four months from all soccer by FIFA for biting the shoulder of Chiellini during the team’s 1-0 victory over Italy in their group-stage match. The incident was not spotted by the referee, and the Uruguayans’ victory sent them through to the second round while Italy was eliminated.
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
It is the third time Suarez has been banned for biting an opponent, after similar incidents at both Ajax in the Dutch league and Liverpool in the English Premier League.
Chiellini responded on Twitter shortly after Suarez posted his statement, seemingly accepting the apology.
“It’s all forgotten,” the Italian wrote in English. “I hope FIFA will reduce your suspension.”
Suarez had originally denied wrongdoing in a written response to FIFA, and had been staunchly defended by teammates and Uruguayan officials. His apology could be taken into account by FIFA when it considers an appeal of the ban, which the Uruguayan federation has said it will file.
“After several days of being home with my family, I have had the opportunity to regain my calm and reflect about the reality of what occurred during the Italy-Uruguay match,” the statement said. “(The) truth is that my colleague Giorgio Chiellini suffered the physical result of a bite in the collision he suffered with me.”
Suarez was also suspended from Uruguay’s next nine international matches — the first of which was a 2-0 loss to Colombia in the round of 16 on Saturday.
Suarez had already returned home to Uruguay by then, and has received an outpouring of support from Uruguayan fans and President Jose Mujica.
Mujica used a vulgar term to refer to FIFA officials and termed the sanctions against Suarez as “fascist,” though he conceded the player could have received a lesser penalty.
Suarez was named the player of the year in the Premier League this past season after scoring 31 goals to lead Liverpool to a second-place finish.