The English fans put so much pressure on their team. Sometimes it seems the weight of that pressure is what causes the team to stumble. They did stumble Thursday, and moving on is close to impossible. There were some bright spots, but not enough to carry the day. Andy Rose and Chris Cornish, one of our trainers, are greatly depressed.
• Uruguay took out three players older than 30 and replaced them all with younger players. The youngest was center back Jose Maria Gimenez, who is just 19 years old. More youth, more speed, more enthusiasm.
• England had more possession but they are a team that looks unsure of its style. Some players want to play like they are on their top clubs. While there are still some who like that more direct style, with no real target forward that direct style does not work.
• What more can you say about Luis Suarez then the man can finish? Give him an inch and he will take a mile. Great header on his first goal and pure power on his second.
- Students seeking sugar daddies for tuition, rent
- So the NRA sends a questionnaire to a Seattle state senator ...
- What's the top spelling 'mistake' in Washington state? The answer could make you sick
- 6 ways to befriend your bones and fend off osteoporosis
- Refusal in Bernie Sandersland to accept reality is really unreal
Most Read Stories
• Alvaro Pareira was out cold. In our league no way would he be allowed to continue to play with our concussion protocol. I guess FIFA has different standards.
• I thought England should have subbed earlier. They waited a little too long and, as a result, some players like Rickie Lambert had no chance to influence the game.
• Finally Wayne Rooney scored. I was happy to see that since I think he is a quality player. The World Cup does not always work out best for everyone.
It has been an interesting World Cup. Some eras are over, like Spain, and some surprises continue to happen. Keep watching it because it has been great entertainment.
Sounders FC coach Sigi Schmid will be analyzing key matches for the Seattle Times throughout the World Cup.