FIFA has officially timed Clint Dempsey's goal at 30 seconds into the United States' 2-1 win over Ghana.
FIFA has officially timed Clint Dempsey’s goal at 30 seconds into the United States’ 2-1 win over Ghana.
Dempsey became the fifth fastest scorer in World Cup history on Monday in Natal.
The goal was initially timed at 29 seconds before being confirmed at one second later by FIFA on Tuesday.
The only faster goals at a World Cup were by Turkey’s Hakan Suker (11 seconds against South Korea in 2002), Czechoslovakia’s Vaclav Masek (16 seconds against Mexico in 1962), Germany’s Ernst Lehner (25 seconds against Austria in 1934), and England’s Bryan Robson (27 seconds against France in 1982).
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
Most Read Stories
Dempsey became the first American to score in three World Cups.