OK, who flashed the steal sign?
A pit bull ran onto the field during a Western Oregon University softball game and yanked the gloves off the Wolves’ shortstop and left fielder, then ran around the field to show off its ill-gotten gains.
Western Oregon had no problems once the dog left, however, beating Simon Fraser 9-0.
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
• At TheOnion.com: “If you had ‘any member of the Miami Dolphins’ as the first pro player to post a negative tweet about Michael Sam’s draft, step up and claim your prize.”
• At SportsPickle.com: “Mel Kiper granted 15-minute break before first ten 2015 mock drafts are due.”
Cubs pitcher Jeff Samardzija has a dazzling 1.45 ERA but just a paltry 0-3 record to show for it.
Just think of it as the statistical equivalent of Julia Roberts marrying Lyle Lovett.
Pay up, Mel
“I trademarked the phrase ‘best athlete left on the board’ before the NFL draft,” wrote Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, “and now Mel Kiper Jr. owes me $37 million.”
Fact of the Week
Lindenwood, Pittsburg State, Bloomsburg (Pa.), McGill, Maine, Concordia (St. Paul), Northwest Missouri State, Saginaw Valley and Princeton all had players taken in this year’s NFL draft — but not Texas.
• Elin Nordegren, in her graduation speech at Rollins college, on taking a ‘Communication and the Media’ course just before her breakup with Tiger Woods turned into a public spectacle: “I probably should have taken more notes in that class.”
• Eric Kolenich of the Richmond (Va.) Times-Dispatch, after Rangers’ pitcher Yu Darvish lost a no-hitter with one out to go for the second year in a row: “Call it deja Yu.”
• Jack Finarelli of SportsCurmudgeon.com, on the multi-day NFL draft leading to a smattering of second-round mock drafts: “That borders on a human-rights violation.”
• Greg Cote of The Miami Herald, after the Nets’ Kevin Garnett — who turns 38 on Monday — came down with a sore leg: “I don’t think it’s a stiff muscle. Based on his age and state of his career, it might be the onset of rigor mortis.”
Tennessee football coach Butch Jones has asked Pacman Jones to speak to his team about the importance of character.
But forget the topic: The players are raring to go just in case there’s a rain delay.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org